Wednesday, February 27, 2013

recent photo projects

One of my unofficial goals for 2013 is to get more of my photography up around the house. While the idea of selling it and getting it out in the world more is exciting, I also like to enjoy it myself and share it with family and friends off of the Internet. Additionally, I bought some of the materials for these projects...nearly a year go, and it was way past time to do something with them. Finally, while I love making jewelry, it is far from my only creative interest. I stay motivated and excited about it by switching up my crafty routine on a regular basis.

Framing

We have a lot of wall space in our basement and have been taking our time figuring out how to decorate it. Most of our nicer art pieces have gone in the living room and dining room, and most of our framed photography (which is wedding photography) has gone in our bedroom. It's been awesome filling out this space a little more.

I have to brag that I got an amazing deal on this second recent frame purchase at Michael's. All of the frames in this line were already 50% off. I had a 25% off everything coupon. Between the sale and the coupon, I got the 8x10 frames for $3.75 each and the 11x14 frames for $7.50 each. Brand new matted frames. I'm still in shock. I hadn't even ordered any 11x14 prints when I bought these frames, but within a couple days, Shutterfly ran a 50% off large prints sale. I got a couple prints for these frames for $4.00 each. I'm still finishing this framing project and don't have pictures of the hanging works yet.

Photo Collage

Do you remember my first photo collage? We now have three of them in the dining room. When I get my recent set of framing done, we're going to re-arrange a few living room and dining room pieces to make the dining room decor all photography.

Coasters

My four seasons project inspired me to revisit making coasters.


Once I started thinking about ideas for photo coaster sets, I couldn't stop. I went ahead and put together two more.

Several people have already asked me what I'm going to do with these new sets. Honestly I'm not sure yet. I will most likely end up gifting at least one set. I'm open to suggestions for the other sets.

Clothespin Display
Do you remember my leaf garland? I've been going back and forth ever since I took it down about what else I want to put up in that spot. We have the nails up, and it seems like a shame not to use them. If you spend any time on Pinterest, you've probably run into some type of garland with clothespins like this one. I have an idea for displaying 4x6 photos, possibly alongside quotes and seasonal items (scrapbook paper cut outs, etc.). It's still in the works, but I'm excited.

Of course I had to decorate some of my clothespins. If you have never tried this before, I highly recommend it. It's ridiculously easy and so cute.

Has anyone else been working on photography projects recently?

13 comments:

  1. OH my goodness! I have been putting off making stuff with my photos because I was dreading the framing process. Now that you shared these tips, I'm like OMG...this is SO on my to-do list! WONDERFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great deal you got on frames!! And I love the clothespins! I've wanted to try these, but just haven't fitted it into my busy schedule :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great deal on the frames and the prints! It's always nice when a great sale comes together! Your basement wall is a perfect spot for your photos-- they look great. I like those coasters... maybe you could add them to your craft show inventory or try them in your shop (or if you really like doing them, open a 2nd shop...) The clothespin idea sounds interesting -- can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you've been a busy bee! I love the new display in the basement area. It's so fun to put your own work on display:) Great deals you got too! For some reason I've seen a lot of great deals out there (JoANN's has had some major sales going on for a while) and I'm not sure why, but it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photos look great on your walls! Fabulous deal on the frames too! We have a fairly big house but not much wall space and it's so frustrating because I'm limited on what I can hang up. I love photos because they're more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The coasters are terrific - the seasonal sets: Great idea - they might be too heavy to ship but they would be great at a craft fair...(My husband always buys coasters at craft fairs...especially if he can buy just one, but he will spring for a set of 4 if he really likes them...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great coasters! That's such a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really should print and frame some of my pictures I don't know why I never have. Yours all look great. Those coasters are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've been on a creative streak! Your basement wall display looks great and I love the photo coasters! That black and white tree branch set would be awesome in your shop (if you want to add variety).
    And what an awesome deal on those frames!
    Your clothes pins are cute...love the colors :) And can't wait to see your display with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful projects! I love to see walls covered with artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the photographs in the basement! They look so nice. And I'm sure you could change them out if you wanted so variety. Cute coasters too! {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love EVERYTHING! You are so creative :) I have a wall of photos with black frames but I didn't take all the photos though. You do an amazing job with photography.. have you ever thought of being a professional photography..like doing wedding photography or something like that? I think you would be really good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the photo coaster sets. I agree with Jamie as well you take really awesome pictures. I found you through I <3 My Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me! Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts, questions, and feedback.