Monday, May 10, 2010

more details for my craft fair booth

I got my official information e-mail from the Iowa Arts Festival today! I still had a few questions so I e-mailed back (still waiting for a response). Actually I have more questions than that, but there are a couple specific issues that I need to know before I get that weekend. Everything else can wait. Now that I know all of the set up times and what not, I can try to recruit at least one or two people to help me. Normally I would be able to recruit my husband or my mom, but unfortunately they're both working that weekend so I need to ask other family and friends. If any Eastern Iowa family/friends are reading this, be forewarned that I will be contacting you soon haha.

I worked on a few more booth projects tonight. The Arts Festival booths are outdoors so I put together paper weights/pen holders. While Jake and I were living in Chicago a few years ago, I stored some of my stuff at my in-laws' house because my parents had just downsized and we had no extra space in our apartment. When we were there a couple weekends ago, I took the last of my stuff, which included a box of art supplies. I'd totally forgotten that I had a TON of these mosaic rocks leftover from a project that my mom and I worked on 5-6 years ago (what you see below is about a third of the collection). I bought some glass cups from Wal-Mart's floral decorating aisle ($1.00 each) for them.


I finished the major work on my large sign. A quick tutorial on this: I printed the letters from Word and cut them out. I glued them with rubber cement to red and blue scrapbooking paper (left over from when I used to make most of my own cards) and covered the front side with contact paper. (I buy large rolls of contact paper from Office Depot for work.) I cut the letters out again, leaving red/blue borders and glued them, again with rubber cement, to a piece of poster board. I'm going to put some jewelry pictures around the edges with Velcro dots (again, purchased in bulk for work) so I can update them in the future as needed.
I'm still not sure how I'm going to hang it. It depends on how long my table fabric cover ends up being and how the festival booths are constructed. I'm thinking either large safety pins or Velcro. If anyone has any advice, please let me know!

Those were the two major projects for tonight. I also finished the last couple table signs and photographed them. The process for these was pretty similar to the large sign. I printed the signs (again from Word), cut them out, and glued them with rubber cement to the red scrapbook paper (these are all edged in red). I cut them out with borders and glued them to a large piece of posterboard, allowing room under each one for tab. I measured out the full length and drew outlines before I cut. I covered the front of each sign with contact paper. Each one has tabs on the bottom so I can tape or pin them down as needed (which I'm pretty much counting on for this event anyway).

The other biggest project I have for this week is to finalize my PR materials for family, friends, and co-workers and start getting the word out.

14 comments:

  1. Your paperweight/pen holders are pure genius!

    And the signs look really good with that colored border. I'll remember that next time I have to make any!

    Good luck with the show--looks like your ducks are lining up nicely. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pen holders, too. I have a clip board with a sign up sheet for my mailing list that has a pen attached to it. My table space has jewelry on it. I took photos until my battery ran out again. The weather here is supposed to be nice this weekend. Right now it's cold, windy & rainy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is looking great! The signs are a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think those little table signs/cards are great! And your customized pen holder is a fabulous idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking Great!!! Good luck with your festival!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your pen holders. What a neat idea! I hope all your hard work pays off and you have a fantastic show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you pen holders as well and having alcohol wipes for earrings, pure genius. Good luck with your show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so great! I bet you are excited...oh, and I love the idea for the pen holder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything is looking good! Be sure and do a practice set up before you go so you know just how much stuff will fit on your table - I ran into trouble when my table was smaller for one show than the prior one and it didn't all work. Also, don't forget to take a hand mirror or something so people can use it if they try on a necklace or earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much! I am definitely planning to do a set up run through at home, Sharla. And I do have a mirror for it! Thanks for the tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. paperweights are great! wonderful signs! Good luck with the show!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me! Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts, questions, and feedback.