Wednesday, February 3, 2010

first peyote triangle earrings, new photos for Artists Exposed

I edited the pictures of my first peyote triangle earrings. I played around with several different set ups since I've never photographed earrings before! I'd appreciate any and all feedback before I create my first earring listing on Etsy.

I don't think I want to photograph all of my earrings with this piece because the colors on the glass piece wouldn't always coordinate with the earrings. However, this worked beautifully with these earrings so I thought I'd give it a shot. I think that the cup is a nice size fit for these earrings.

I took a few shots with my classic music background. I think that I'd like to include a couple shots like this in my listings no matter what, but I would still like something that shows the earrings mounted, too.

I also took a few shots with a plain juice glass, too. I like the neutral background that it creates, but I'm not sure that it's the best size/shape for these earrings. Maybe I'm being too picky though haha. This is why I need feedback!


Vicki Diane graciously offered to curate one of her Artists Exposed treasuries for the EBW group. I created my listing tonight. I got a haircut today so I figured that this would be as good a time as any (even though I shot these pictures without natural light). I'll be an alternate so here's hoping that someone's item sells and I'll make it in! You can check out the listing here.

Yes, I had some fun editing these pictures with Picasa. Once I had one of these brilliantly colored images finished, I couldn't go back to the originals.


For those of you who are friends with me on Facebook or who have seen the photo that I used for previous Artists Exposed items, this is the updated version haha.

12 comments:

  1. I started making earrings and am having problems in how to photograph them too - so far I have just been doing the flat pictures - I do like them on the glass containers since you get the idea of how they hang. All of your earring photos look good to me - I guess a mix is best to show the flat and hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that a mix is best. I will most likely end up using a combination of the "poses" that I posted here. I'm just curious if people prefer one over the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Earrings are lots of fun, when I'm in the mood to fiddle (getting them to match, that is!) My personal preference for a main photo is, like you did, a plain glass vase or the like. It shows the style of earwire and how the thing will hang...but they can look really good laying down, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For my earring listings I ended up investing in a small bust from firemountaingems.com
    http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H201424PK

    You can see it used in these listings
    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=38216138
    and
    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=37905083

    I like your blog, I'm a fellow EtsyBlogger! and I'm now following your blog.

    I would love your opinion on a product idea I have, Please comment on my recent post
    http://lizswares.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the last photo best. The glass looks real clean and clear, and the earrings are bright, and you can see all of the colors.

    The photo of your earrings laying down does not do the colors justice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite is your photograph on the music! It's classy! But using a mix in your listing is best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just like the earrings in all the photos! But if I had to choose, I'd say the ones on the music like Margaret said.

    Congrats on being in Artists Exposed again - great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the feedback everyone! This definitely helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that the shape of the first goblet looks great with the earrings. I bet you could find some gorgeous glasses like it at a thrift shop that are neutral enough for almost any earrings you make. Maybe some of Etsy's vintage sellers have something, too.

    The music background is such a clear signature for your shop, I think that one should be your first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you much Mortira! I will keep all of that advice in mind!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me! Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts, questions, and feedback.