Tuesday, September 24, 2013

photo outtakes

I'm sharing another round of photo outtakes today. I'm making this a more regular feature for the foreseeable future. I think that it's really important to discuss the fact that I take a ton of photos to get a few gems. Also, while I keep improving my skills, I still make a lot of mistakes. Here are just a few examples of my recent outtakes.

Dark, blurry kitty shot. If you take pictures of your pets, you inevitably wind up with a few of these shots.

I shot this from the wrong angle. The poor statue face is completely in shadow.

Sometimes I set my camera on the ground and take a shot without using live view. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not so much. This might have been neat with manual focus to make that piece of the dock, you know, not a big blurry mess, but I didn't do that.

For obvious reasons I felt like I had to get a shot of this parking ramp sign. There wasn't a great way to shoot it without a lot of glare.

Boring. A close up of the fisherman would have been better.

Hello, overexposure.

Auto focus fail.

Modern digital SLR cameras do a great job minimizing blur, especially when used with lenses that have image stabilization (IS). In low light situations without a tripod, it still isn't enough sometimes.

This isn't a terrible shot, but I'm not happy with the angle.

This is a picture of a really cool fountain. In this shot, you really can't tell that there's any water. Thankfully I did get a bunch of much better pictures of this fountain with beautifully depicted water.

Don't be afraid to share your outtakes once in a while! It makes everyone feel better.

New articles:
Fall Autumn Themes and Units for Preschool, Pre K, and Kindergarten: Lesson Plans, Activities, and Crafts
How to Find Great Photography Locations 

8 comments:

  1. I thought the one of the fountain was still pretty cool! It kind of looks like stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition to your average outtakes, my human has some "what was I thinking?" shots - ones that sounded like a good idea at the time, but actually weren't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always makes me feel better when I see your outtakes since I get more than my share of them too! I had a lot of overexposure shots last night and have no idea what I did differently. I also can't shoot a photo of the moon even following directions I found online but maybe I just need a tripod. I have a lot of photos that I thought would be fabulous but they were just fails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Paige on the last photo. And I thought they were pretty steep stairs too ;-)
    Since it's mostly grey skies here I'm constantly dealing with too dark images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never would have guessed the final shot was of a fountain! It's a really cool photo, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, that last shot of the fountain makes me worry about how you must be hanging over the top to get the shot! And since it looks like there is no water, it's ever scarier!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to share the outtakes! I seem to have a lot of out of focus critters half out of the camera range. Sometimes the wind fouls up and image, too - lots of moving flowers... One thing for sure, we can learn a lot from our outtakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do learn a lot for our out takes. That's the nice thing about digital photography, there is no waste!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me! Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts, questions, and feedback.